By: Nalin Jayetileke
There are currently more that 1,297 locally acquired cases of the virus active across the state where 400 of them are said to be people under the age 20. It has also been reported by ABC News Australia that there are 76 people with COVID-19 in Victorian hospitals, out of which 23 in intensive care units and 14 of them in critical condition on a ventilators.
The health care workers have raised concerns about the streaked healthcare system would struggle to cope with the way the cases are increasing. They are concerned as it has been reported that non of the coronavirus patients in hospital are fully vaccinated, an issue Melbourne will have to find an answers to , to be bale to bring the cases down to a manageable state. However, the sate is focused on vaccinations as that is seen the answer in mitigating the situation.
According to federal health department figures, 59.72 per cent of eligible people aged over 16 are protected with a first dose, and 37.23 per cent of eligible people aged over 16 are fully vaccinated.
It means the state is tracking slightly ahead of projected vaccination rates and may hit a 70 per cent first-dose target earlier than the September 23 date flagged by the government.
After that 70 per cent target is reached, Melburnians can expect a very minor easing of restrictions. It will not be until 70 per cent of people aged 16 and above have had two doses of a vaccine that the city will have a more significant change to the lockdown settings — a threshold not expected to be reached until mid-October. Regional Victoria also may have freedom sooner, with changes to those settings next week.
According to federal health department figures, 59.72 per cent of eligible people aged over 16 are protected with a first dose, and 37.23 per cent of eligible people aged over 16 are fully vaccinated. It means the state is tracking slightly ahead of projected vaccination rates and may hit a 70 per cent first-dose target earlier than the September 23 date flagged by the government. As reported by ABC, Department of Health revealed that of the people diagnosed between August 1 and September 2, there were 313 cases linked to education settings. Another 142 were linked to childcare.
The state also has planned targeting vaccinating teachers and year 12 students from September 7, giving them priority access to Pfizer bookings. There were another 251 infections linked to the government category of “workplace/ industry”, and 90 linked to hospital or healthcare settings. There were 335 people in the “other” category, which a department spokesman said included sporting venues, family and social gatherings, places of worship and transport. Health authorities have previously said the virus was spreading rapidly through homes and family settings, and a football club was at the center of the start of the outbreak.
There have now been 58 cases linked to a Box Hill construction site, doubling since the day before. Melbourne’s are advised to be mindful and act with responsibility as the authorities in Melbourne is looking at having more significant settings in the present Lockdown settings in the days and weeks to come.
It has also been reveled that the new COVID-19 pandemic ward opened at the Northern Hospital in Epping on Friday afternoon, with 20 of the 24 beds have already filled up by yesterday (Saturday), a matter to be concerned and cake care.
Infor courtesy: thesundayreader.lk correspondent in Melbourne /abc.net.au