The Head of the National Operation Centre for the Prevention of COVID-19, Army Commander, General Shavendra Silva said that the government had decided not to extend the countrywide travel restrictions once it is lifted at 4 am on Monday, June 14.
However, he said that the public would be notified of other restrictions in due course.
Responding to false news reports that the travel ban would be extended until the end of the month, he said that no decision had been taken to extend the travel restriction currently in force and that the travel restriction will be removed from Monday 14.
Last week, the announcement was made that a decision had been taken to extend the travel restriction from June 7 to14.
Authorities had imposed countrywide travel restrictions on May 21 in an effort to control the rising COVID-19 spread.
The travel restrictions were to be lifted at 4am June 7 but were extended by another week till 4am on June 14. Previously officials said the restrictions will be lifted partially on May 31 and June 4 during day time for the public to purchase essentials, but this too was scrapped.
The Divisional Secretaries coordinate the delivery of essential items to the public during the travel restriction period.