The Government will review mid next week if the islandwide lockdown will be continued over the next weekend depending on the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths reported, Army commander Shavendra Silva, head of the National Operations Centre for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (NOCPCO), said yesterday, May 22.
He said the deaths and the number of cases were on the rise and that decisions would be taken depending on the situation.
Since May 1 until Friday, more than 50,000 new COVID19 cases had been reported while 455 deaths had been reported during the same period.
Of the 455 deaths, 212 were recorded within a week ending last Friday. The highest death toll of 44 people were also reported on Friday.
Meanwhile, travel restrictions, which came into effect on Friday night are due to be lifted on Tuesday at 4 am. They will be reimposed at 11 p.m. on the same day until 4.00 a.m. every day till Friday, May 28.