The Defence Ministry issuing a statement said yesterday, September 29, that claims of a threat to Churches in Sri Lanka have not been verified.
Therefore, Defence Secretary, General (Rtd) Kamal Gunaratne said that although there were reports circulating on social media of a threat to Churches in Sri Lanka these claims have neither been analyzed nor confirmed by the respective authorities.
Hence, he urged the public not to get alarmed, adding that there is no reason to panic over the incident.
Concerns arose when several Navy officers had visited a Catholic Church in Bopitiya and apparently warned a worker at the Church about a possible attack on the church.
At that time the Priest in charge of the Church had not been present and the worker had notified the priest regarding the warning.
However, the priest had inquired from other churches in the vicinity and the Bishop’s House, but no such warning had been given to them.