Dr. Anil Jasinghe, Director General of Health Services tells police not to inconvenience ordinary citizens who are not wearing masks.
In a letter addressed to the Acting Inspector General of Police, he said, “Do not consider healthy, normal people not wearing masks as committing any wrong and do them any harm”.
Under a ministry letterhead, Dr. Jasinghe informed the police that masks should only be worn by the following individuals:
- Any COVID-19 suspected persons.
- Those who had come into contact with individuals who are suspected of having contracted COVID-19.
- COVID-19 caregivers.
- When someone with any respiratory illness is visiting a hospital.
The Ministry says it does not recommend the use of masks by everyone right now because:
- There is an increased risk for the virus to spread due to improper wear or handling.
- Chances for virus to spread due to improper disposal.
- It is better to save the mask you have for if and when it is declared essential.